Choose the perfect smartphone: what to look for when buying
Want to choose a good smartphone, but do not know what parameters should be assessed in the first place? We will give detailed instruction that will help find the machine that perfectly fits your requirements.
What is the difference between a smartphone with metal body from the devices enclosed in plastic? The advantages of the metal can be considered more efficient heat transfer, lightweight and reliable: in the fall, he can bend, but not break or crack into pieces. Plus high quality plastic — it is not so readily collects scratches and with careful handling retains a presentable appearance.
In recent years, the market increasingly appear smartphones with a body made of mineral glass. They look sophisticated and elegant and evoke pleasant tactile sensations when using. But have glass enclosures and disadvantages: as a rule, they are slippery and prone to contamination (particularly on the fingerprints).
If the description of the smartphone indicate that it has a dust — and waterproof casing, take the time to shoot underwater selfies. First, look in the Datasheet what the protection class of device has.
For example, the class IP64 means protection only against splash water: dive with this phone without hermetically sealed housing is impossible. Only the highest standard of protection (IP68) allows a gadget to carry the long (up to 30 mins) dive to a depth of 1.5 m without any consequences.
Optimal from the point of view of practicality and portability are 5-inch smartphones. Screens with a diagonal of 5.5 inches and more will appeal to fans of mobile gaming and movies. They are also useful for working with office applications. However, in the pursuit of size don’t forget that a smartphone with a large screen may not fit in your pocket.
The basis of any display is a matrix: it formed the picture that you see. The vast majority of modern smartphones set matrix IPS or Super AMOLED. The benefits of IPS technology, high brightness, saturation, and wide viewing angles without distortion. Matrix Super AMOLED have higher contrast (deep black), they display the pure and natural colors.
The picture clarity on the display depends on its resolution. Today the most common screen with HD (1280?720 p) Full HD (1920?1080p) or Quad HD (2560?R 1440) resolution. Notice the difference in detail between Full HD and Quad HD screen with the naked eye is almost impossible, therefore, to pursue the number of pixels is not always correct. Besides, the higher the screen resolution, the more battery power it consumes.
Ideally, the smartphone should have a good oleophobic (grease repellent) coating. It prevents the appearance on the screen of fingerprints and provides smooth sliding.
The «heart» of any smartphone is the processor: it is responsible for the speed and performance of the device. Most modern smartphones are equipped with 4-or 8-core processors, and the frequency range from 1.1 GHz to 2.3 GHz and above. However, the power of the processor is determined not only by the number of cores and clock speed but the architecture of the chipset (in particular, the process technology: the smaller the better for performance).
The more smartphone’s memory, the less it will hang at high loads (e.g., 3D games). RAM is also important for fast loading of web pages and the ability to work with multiple applications simultaneously. Minimum the smart choice today — the smartphone with 2 GB of RAM. If you are looking for a machine for games and other multimedia entertainment, go to the online shop of smartphones and consider a model with 3 GB of RAM and above.
Built-in memory and possibility of its expansion
Modern smartphones are equipped with drives with a capacity of 4 GB (meet in ultrabudgetary models) up to 128 GB. Practice shows that the average user comfortable to operate the device fully enough memory to 16-32 GB.
If necessary, the memory can be expanded by installing in the phone the microSD card (it is possible, for example, store all photos, videos and music). Cheap smartphones often support memory cards up to 32 GB, phones premium level — up to 512 GB.
Let’s look at some useful functions and technologies that significantly extend the capabilities of a smartphone.
- The fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint sensor may be located on the rear panel or be integrated into the Home button. It is a simple gadget, allowing you to unlock the screen with a single touch. In addition, the sensor of the fingerprint securely protects your personal files from prying. In the memory device, as a rule, may contain up to 5 scans of the prints, thereby providing access to people you trust.
- Face ID. In some of the top smartphones to identify the owner uses a more advanced technology — facial recognition. If the gadget has a similar opportunity, you will be able to unlock it, just looking at the screen.
- Sensor lighting. Located above the display sensor allows the smartphone to automatically adapt the backlight intensity of the display depending on the nature of light. For example, outside on a Sunny day, the backlight will be set to the maximum that will help to read a new message, not covering the screen by hand. And at night in a dark room, the smartphone will reduce the backlight to minimum. The presence sensor lighting not only increases the ease of operation of the apparatus, but also helps to economize the battery charge.
- USB On-The-Go. If your smartphone supports USB OTG, you get the opportunity to directly connect it to a USB-stick, MP3-player, camera and several other devices to view and edit their contents. If desired, connect the phone and a manipulator, for example, mouse or keyboard.
- DLNA. This technology will help to unite home devices into a single network for sharing content via Wi-Fi. Simply put, you will be able online to broadcast a picture with the smartphone’s screen on the TV or Vice versa.
- The IR port. The infrared port is useful for control TV, air conditioning and other home appliances directly from your smartphone. To turn the device into a universal remote control Daewoo, you will need to install the program.
- The NFC chip. The NFC chip allows you to use your phone as a Bank card. With it, you will be able to pay for purchases in store, simply holding the gadget to the terminal.
If you want to enjoy high speed mobile Internet without connecting to Wi-Fi, note the presence of the mobile modules 3G and 4G LTE.
Navigation the GPS module is now installed in all smartphones, but for a more precise location it needs to support the positioning system GLONASS. Not superfluous will and technology a-GPS, which accelerates the connection with the satellites during «cold start» navigation applications.
If you often have to call on numbers of other operators, buy smartphone 2 SIM cards. Please note that in some models, the slot for the second SIM card combined with space for microSD, and in this case, you can install only one of these cards.
Inexperienced users when purchasing a smartphone look at the camera resolution, believing that the higher it is, the better will be images. But in reality the resolution is not so important. For example, the camera resolution of the Samsung Galaxy S7 is only 12 MP, which does not prevent him to be one of the best camera on the market. A great influence on the quality of the photo have the size of the sensor and the individual pixels: the bigger they are, the better to absorb the light. Due to this, pictures are more vivid and bright.
Another important parameter is the aperture (aperture, ISO sensitivity) of the lens. It affects the quality of shooting in low light. For low-cost smartphones is the norm, the aperture value around f/2.0 for camera — f/1.8 and below.
If you want your photo & video was close in quality to professional, you need a smartphone with optical stabilization. This is a special mechanism, which compensates for the slightest variations of the lens in the shooting process, due to which noises are eliminated motion blur and other distortions.
Top smartphones can shoot video in Ultra HD 4K (3840?2160 p). Videos with this resolution are striking in their detail even when viewed on a big-screen TV. But there is a fly in the ointment: 1 minute 4K video can take up to 400 MB of disk space, so roomy and fast memory card you can not do.
Smartphones middle class and many of the budget models usually shoot in Full HD (1920?1080 p). These videos also have good quality.
Some cameras are able to shoot video in high frequency (60 frames/sec., 120 K/sec. and even 240 frames/sec.), however, not in full resolution. Videos recorded at that speed very smoothly.
If you actively use the phone for web surfing and social networking, often make calls, listen to music, take photos and video, but do not want to constantly carry a charger, select the device with a battery of 3000 mAh and above. Fans of mobile games simply counter to buy a smartphone with a battery capacity below 4000 mAh.
In some middle and higher price class, provides the possibility of rapid charging Turbo Charge. Another increasingly popular technology for wireless charging. If your smartphone supports it, you do not need to plug it in to replenish the battery: simply place the gadget on induction delivery, resembling a small rug.